The Hangar Internship Program
How to apply...
All applicants looking to apply for an artistic or admin internship should submit the Admin Internship Application. If you are looking to apply to a production internship, please complete and submit a Production Internship/Apprenticeship Application. (Applications found under the download tab on the bottom right of screen). Please e-mail your Hangar Theatre Application Form as well as a letter of interest and your resume to:
- email@example.com for all Artistic internships
- firstname.lastname@example.org for all Administration internships
- email@example.com for all Tech and Stage Management internships and apprenticeships
**When submitting your materials, please put the internship position title that you are applying for in the subject heading of your e-mail**
The Hangar Internship Program offers you the opportunity to work alongside professional artists and managers at the forefront of an award-winning regional not-for-profit theatre in the beautiful Finger Lakes region of upstate New York.
Internships at the Hangar Theatre are designed to give creative and ambitious individuals who are interested in theatre the opportunity to work directly with professional theatre artists and administrators, and the opportunity for students to bridge the gap between collegiate work and professional life. The goals of our Internship Program are to offer students and aspiring theatre professionals experiential learning and insight into a career path, facilitate opportunities to make professional contacts, and equip individuals with marketable skills for jobs and graduate programs in theatre and not-for-profit management.
The Hangar Theatre offers various internships in Production, Artistic and Administration. Interns work directly with individual department heads & staff to receive practical training in administrative management or technical theatre. Intern applicants must be 18 years of age. Many Hangar alumni have gone on to work professionally at nationally and internationally renowned theatre institutions including Alliance Theatre, American Repertory Theatre, Arizona Theatre Company, CENTERSTAGE, Children’s Theatre Company, Geva Theatre, Hartford Stage, Merrimack Repertory Theatre, Missouri Repertory Theatre, Oregon Shakespeare Theatre, Portland Stage Company, Signature Theatre, Syracuse Stage Company, and Woolly Mammoth Theatre among others. Internship opportunities are most often offered over the summer, but some positions are available during the fall and spring. Internships may qualify for college credit and/or federal work-study programs during the academic year.
Why intern at Hangar Theatre?
- Take advantage of the opportunity to gain practical experience and build your professional resume. Build your professional network and make lifelong friends as you work with some of the best in the business in a creative and supportive atmosphere.
- Participate in intern forums with Hangar staff and senior management, guest artists and other members of the community to broaden your knowledge base and expand your understanding of professional regional theatre.
- Spend valuable time in the city of Ithaca and find out why all the bumper stickers say ‘Ithaca is Gorges’. Nestled in the beautiful Finger Lakes region of upstate New York, Ithaca's natural beauty is unmatched, highlighted by rolling hills, Cayuga Lake, breathtaking gorges, and over 100 cascading waterfalls. With a community of artists, writers, performers, along with some of the world's leading scientists and researchers, Ithaca is an environment that values creativity, intellect, and innovation. Theater and the arts abound in the region, and the quality and variety of our local restaurants, more per capita than in NYC, prompted the The New York Times in 2008 to call Ithaca a "gastronomic oasis." Ithaca is an amazing place to visit, live, work and learn, and you'll be glad that you did!
Hangar Interns receive:
- Complimentary tickets to all Hangar productions during the season you are with us, and the chance to take advantage of free or discounted tickets to other Ithaca theaters through industry courtesy exchanges.
- Tickets to all Hangar opening night performances—including the post-show receptions.
- College credit, as arranged with your individual college or university.
What you need to know...
- Designed for college students, recent graduates and emerging professionals. Must be 18 years of age to apply.
- Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.
- For college students, hours are flexible during the Fall, Winter and Spring to accommodate class schedules. Summer hours depend on the specifics of the position
- A modest stipend and/or housing is available for some positions, although most intern positions are unpaid. Stipend and housing benefits for internship positions are determined for each position within each department, and will be addressed during the interview process.